• Business
    The Telegraph

    Chancellor's tax crackdown could cost landlords £7,000

    Landlords are running out of options for keeping their buy-to-let businesses in profit, as the Government plans a tax crackdown that could cost them almost £7,000 each. Chancellor Rishi Sunak is considering increasing the rates of capital gains tax, which is charged when an investment property is sold, to bring them in line with income tax. Landlords face a double whammy as Mr Sunak is also looking to increase corporation tax from 19pc to as much as 24pc. This will affect buy-to-let owners who have chosen to incorporate their properties. A record number of landlords did so last year after previous tax crackdowns since 2016 made it increasingly unprofitable to own a buy-to-let in their personal name. About 229,000 buy-to-let businesses are now run using a company, according to Hamptons International, the estate agency. The proposed capital gains hike would cost the average landlord an extra £6,800 in tax when selling up, calculations by Hamptons have revealed. London landlords, who have typically seen the biggest gains, will see their tax bill rise the most – by £26,840. Higher-rate taxpayers would be hit by a 40pc capital gains tax rather than the current 28pc on their gains. The analysis assumes landlords have not already used up their £12,300 annual tax-free allowance.

  • Celebrity
    Digital Spy

    GMB's Kate Garraway says she's not allowed to see husband Derek in hospital

    He's currently in hospital recovering from COVID-19.

  • Entertainment
    Yahoo Celebrity UK

    BBC responds to complaints over 'rude' Saturday Kitchen guests Naga Munchetty and Charlie Stayt

    Naga Munchetty and Charlie Stayt left some viewers seriously unimpressed.

  • News
    Yahoo News UK

    Football coach tortured, set on fire and beaten with sledgehammers in revenge attack

    Jordan Storey, 28, was tortured and subjected to a violent attack by a gang of four people at a flat in Newcastle, in February last year.

  • Health
    The Telegraph

    University student dies from sepsis after ringing GP surgery 25 times only to be refused appointment

    A university student has died from sepsis after trying to get through to a GP surgery 25 times only to be refused an appointment, an inquiry has heard. Toby Hudson, 19, was unable to get through to anyone at the practice in Weymouth, Dorset because of a faulty phone system. But when he tried again the following day, he was told he could not have an appointment for at least 48 hours due to him being registered at another surgery in his university town of Southampton, Hants. The teenager then attended an urgent care walk-in centre, where he was wrongly diagnosed with tonsillitis and prescribed antibiotics. Within 24 hours Mr Hudson's condition deteriorated rapidly and his parents eventually called emergency services when he became unconscious. He went into cardiac arrest but was delayed in getting to hospital because an ambulance initially attended the wrong address. Mr Hudson tragically died on July 4, 2019, two days after he first sought help at the Wyke Regis & Lanehouse Medical Practice in Dorset. A post mortem examination showed he died from multiple organ failure due to sepsis, which was due to infectious mononucleosis (glandular fever). It was heard that Mr Hudson was suffering from swollen glands, 'puffy' tonsils and a sore throat when his parents urged him to speak to a GP. Giving evidence, Dr Matthew Brook, a partner at the Wake Regis & Lanehouse Medical Practice, admitted issues with the phone system due to a high patient load. Dr Brook said: "We were having tremendous problems with our phone system which could not handle a much higher number of calls." He insisted that the correct procedures had been followed, as according to national guidelines, temporary residents should only be seen by a GP if they do not require urgent care. He added: "We have had a review since then and nobody recalled taking the call from Toby." The nurse who attended Mr Hudson in urgent care said she was "not remotely worried" about his symptoms upon examination, adding that "he did not show any signs of sepsis". She recalled: "He had a normal temperature of 36.1 degrees, a heart rate of 102bpm and rated his pain at an eight out of ten". Mr Hudson’s father, Peter, said: "I felt there was no urgency. I had to press for action to be taken and for our concerns to be heard. "We have a lot of concerns about his care." The inquest continues.