- PoliticsThe Independent
‘There was a protocol breach when the front doors were not held open’
- CelebrityThe Guardian
Melania Trump's photo snub prompts speculation over post-White House path. Former first lady walks off after touching down at Palm Beach airport this week, leaving husband to relish the spotlight alone
- EntertainmentDigital Spy
Are you Team Anne or Team Bradley?
- PoliticsThe Independent
World leaders have reacted to Biden’s presidency — and are now showing what they really thought of Trump
Iran’s President Rouhani said ‘a tyrant’s era’ had ‘come to an end’
- NewsThe Telegraph
Thousands of national guardsmen were turfed out of the Capitol building on Thursday and sent to sleep in car parks, before being allowed back in late at night after complaints from lawmakers. Despite the quick reversal, two Republican governors commanded their troops home in protest. President Biden expressed his "dismay" on Friday morning to General Daniel R Hokanson, the chief of the National Guard, about how the troops had been treated, the White House said. About 25,000 Guard members from across the country were deployed to help secure President Biden's inauguration, which went off with only a handful of minor arrests. On Friday Jill Biden, the First Lady, visited some of the troops outside the Capitol to thank them for their work and handed out chocolate chip cookies. US Capitol police had ordered the reservists to vacate the building and set up camp outdoors or in nearby hotels, with thousands ending up stationed outside or in car parks. “Yesterday dozens of senators and congressmen walked down our lines taking photos, shaking our hands and thanking us for our service. Within 24 hours, they had no further use for us and banished us to the corner of a parking garage. We feel incredibly betrayed,” one of the guardsmen told Politico. The National Guard were brought into the US capital to provide security after Donald Trump supporters stormed the Capitol on January 6.
- StyleGood Housekeeping UK
It's part of a special collection at M&S.
- NewsReuters Videos
Ford announced on Thursday it was recalling 3 million cars due to potential issues with airbag inflators. The measure is expected to cost the automaker $610 million, and affects vehicles from the 2006 through 2012 model years. The airbag inflators in question were produced by auto parts supplier Takata. In rare instances, a defect in them can lead to a rupture in the bag, sending potentially deadly metal fragments flying. Worldwide, there have been 27 deaths and at least 400 injuries from the inflators. It's prompted the largest automotive recall in U.S. history of more than 67 million inflators, and a further 33 million worldwide. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration rejected on Tuesday a 2017 petition by Ford and Mazda, which sought to avoid recalling the cars with the potentially dangerous airbags. The regulator said the evidence was clear that these inflators posed a significant safety risk. Mazda will be required to recall and repair driver air bags in approximately 5,800 vehicles.