• Celebrity
    Yahoo Lifestyle

    Prince Charles 'withdraws financial support' for Harry, Meghan

    Clarence House was previously in charge of handling any mail sent for the Sussexes. But that will soon change.

  • News
    Yahoo News UK

    COVID infections now rising in 55 areas – map shows rate in your area

    One in seven areas of the UK have seen a weekly rise in COVID cases, the latest government data reveals.

  • Sport
    Reuters

    Spin-heavy India eye series win against England, WTC final spot

    India will go into the fourth and final test against a spin-scarred England on Thursday needing only a draw to win the series, which will also seal their spot in the June final of the inaugural World Test Championship against New Zealand. England made a bright start to the four-test series, stunning India with a 227-run victory in the opener in Chennai but then faltered as the hosts regrouped and took a 2-1 lead with comprehensive wins in the second and third matches. Virat Kohli's men completed an extraordinary 10-wicket win against England inside two days in the day-night third test in Ahmedabad with spinners from both sides running riot on a helpful surface at the world's largest cricket stadium.

  • News
    The Independent

    Mother and daughter die after 11 family members catch Covid meeting on Christmas Day

    Their family has already raised more than £15,200 in charity for hospital services

  • News
    The Telegraph

    Channel migrants seeking UK asylum are smuggling themselves back to France, says charity

    Channel migrants seeking asylum in the UK are smuggling themselves back to France because of Priti Patel’s crackdown, says a UK charity. Care4Calais has revealed the case of an Iranian who came to Britain on a small boat but has since managed to return to Dunkirk after becoming disillusioned with his experience in the controversial Napier barracks used to house Channel migrants in Folkestone, Kent. He told volunteers working for the charity that he had smuggled himself back to France on a lorry. “England does not have any law,” he told them. “I don’t have a good memory of the place. It is broken from the inside.” Napier barracks was at the centre of a near-riot when migrants being kept on the former military base after an outbreak of Covid-19 went on the rampage and set fire to buildings in protest at the Home Office’s refusal to move them to a hotel. The Home Secretary has been under pressure to close down the barracks as an asylum centre, including from local Tories because of the conditions, location and spartan regime. Care4Calais’s founder Clare Moseley also disclosed that two young men from El Salvador who had come to the UK to seek asylum had also applied to the Home Office to be repatriated, but had been told there was a waiting list before they could be returned home. “Their father is in the military and the family was being pursued by terrorist and criminal groups so he sent them to England, but they are now stuck in Manchester. All they want to do is work and don’t like relying on the state,” said Ms Moseley. She blamed the increasingly tough restrictions and hostility that the migrants faced for their decisions to seek to leave the UK. The Government is seeking to deter illegal migrants from making the perilous journey across the Channel through increased patrols and surveillance on French beaches and a tougher approach to asylum. A new law, introduced after Brexit, makes any migrant’s asylum claim inadmissible if they have been in a safe third country before their arrival in the UK. This weekend it emerged that Ms Patel is drawing up plans for smugglers to face life sentences, rather than the current maximum of 14 years. A policy paper due this month is expected to tighten up what ministers claim is the “broken” asylum system by placing curbs on “litigious” human rights claimants who seek to delay their deportation and encourage judges to take a tougher stance against asylum seekers with criminal records.

  • Sport
    The Telegraph

    Referee Pascal Gauzere admits he got it wrong with two Wales tries against England

    Joël Jutge, World Rugby’s Head of Match Officials, says Pascal Gauzere has acknowledged to him that he got both contentious first-half incidents wrong in Saturday’s Six Nations clash between Wales and England. Wales won 40-24 in Cardiff to keep their Grand Slam hopes alive. But there was there was huge controversy after Gauzere awarded Wayne Pivac's side two first-half tries. Jutge told Midi Olympiqe that he had spoken with Gauzere by telephone on Sunday morning and that the Frenchman was the “first to admit” he had erred. Referee's view: The officials will recognise they made key mistakes - we all have bad days “I think one has to be transparent, say what one thinks rather than let things fester,” Jutge said. “In this game there were two unfortunate incidents, which were not simple to manage. I know from having spoken to him by phone on Sunday morning that Pascal Gauzere recognises that himself.” The first incident occurred when Gauzere told England captain Owen Farrell to talk to his players about ill discipline, indicating “time off”, before blowing his whistle to indicate ‘time on’ and allowing Wales' Dan Biggar to take a penalty while the visitors were still in a huddle under the posts. Biggar kicked to the corner where Josh Adams gathered and scored.