- NewsThe Telegraph
The Scottish National Party has proved time and again that the rules of political gravity don’t apply to it. It has maintained its astonishing double-digit lead in every poll published since the end of 2014, shortly after the independence referendum which the SNP called for and then lost. There have been troubles along the way, many of which would have holed any other UK party below the waterline. Not least among them have been the scandals involving the building of new hospitals which turned out not to be fit for purpose, worrying gaps in school performance by those from poorer backgrounds and the revelation that Scottish university applicants are being short-changed by the self-imposed cap on domestic students as a consequence of the SNP’s adherence to their policy of “free” tuition. But still Nicola Sturgeon, the First Minister and SNP leader, appears to move smoothly forward, as untroubled by such matters as the Scottish public seem to be: two polls published at the end of January put her party on course for an astonishing 50 per cent of the vote in next year’s Holyrood elections. The nationalists have maintained an iron discipline in their own ranks, both parliamentary and at grassroots level, that any other party would envy. Criticism, such as it is, of Sturgeon and the wider party leadership is muted at most. Party discipline is credited, at least in part, for catapulting the SNP to its pre-eminent position in Scottish politics and must, therefore, be preserved. But counter-intuitively, when Scottish government failures seem to have no negative impact on the party’s standing, the feeling grows that perhaps a greater degree of dissension from the party line might be welcome.
Holly Willoughby makes epic royal blunder on This Morning involving Prince Harry and Prince George - watch the moment
Holly Willoughby gave viewers another priceless moment on This Morning on Tuesday. The 39-year-old couldn't control her laughter after she muddled up the royal succession during a game of It's Behind You, which sees viewers describe an image behind Holly and co-host Phillip Schofield, who must guess the right answer to win a cash prize for the caller. Hilarity ensued after one caller attempted to describe a photo of Prince Charles, giving Holly and Phil the clue: "The next in line for the throne."WATCH: Holly Willoughby makes epic royal blunder on This MorningBut while Phillip pondered his answer for a brief moment, Holly blurted out Prince William, then Prince Harry, seemingly forgetting that he and wife Meghan Markle have stepped back from royal duties, and finally Prince George, before collapsing back into the sofa in a fit of laughter. Luckily for Holly, Phillip was able to correctly name Prince Charles before the time ran out.Phillip is often on hand to bail his co-star and best friend out of sticky situations, but Holly will now have a new sidekick she announced earlier this week she will be hosting a brand new show with Bradley Walsh. Thanks to the popularity of their Christmas show, Take Off, the pair have revealed that they are now making it a full series! The show sees members of the audience compete to win a holiday, and the duo spoke about how much they were looking forward to filming new episodes.READ: Holly Willoughby's most gorgeous Dancing on Ice hairstyles since 2007Holly Willoughby lost her composure once again on This MorningREAD: Holly Willoughby returns to This Morning in a gorgeous collared mini dressIn a joint statement, Holly and Bradley said: "We're really excited to be working together again on Take Off. We had so much fun last time and can't wait to give more families the chance to win an amazing holiday." Entertainment Commissioning Controller Kate Phillip said: "I'm so pleased that Brad and Holly will be returning to BBC One with more Take Off. With memorable, play along games and our hosts' infectious energy, Take Off will give everyone a lift." They are also looking for audience participants, and so if you want to have a chance to win a holiday, email email@example.com for more information.Like this story? Sign up to our newsletter to get other stories like this delivered straight to your inbox.
- NewsThe Independent
An exodus of British Muslims is happening right under our noses – and still we’re asking whether Islamophobia exists
British Muslims – many who have lived here for generations – are packing up their belongings, parting ways with their loved ones, established careers and the country they were born in to move to somewhere safer. In recent years, the rates of hate crimes against religious minorities in the UK has rocketed, and for some, it has just become too dangerous to stay. There is an exodus happening in Britain, and no one has even blinked an eye.Contrary to the mainstream narrative that veiled and bearded people are flooding through our borders, a significant number of Muslims are leaving their homeland because of rising rates of targeted religious hate crimes. Despite this reality, harmful discourse in the media, politics and places of power continues to contribute to an increasingly hostile environment that is driving British Muslims away.
Following her victorious stint on Strictly Come Dancing, things are looking up for Oti Mabuse. Taking to her Instagram Stories on Tuesday, the professional dancer - who won the 2019 series with Kelvin Fletcher \- has revealed she is teaming up with her husband Marius Iepure on a brand new project – a weekend-long dance spectacular this summer! "Hi everyone, so Marius and I are very excited to announce that we're working on a brand new dance event coming up in July," she told her fans.WATCH: Oti Mabuse and husband Marius Iepure announce exciting news"In London," quipped Marius, with Oti explaining: "It's going to be all-weekend long, with some of the best dancers in the world, your favourite TV stars will be there. It's going to be a dinner and dance, workshops and amazing shows." Her husband then added: "A long long weekend of dance… hope to see you there."MORE: Kelvin Fletcher addresses his marriage to wife Liz after Oti Mabuse dramaMany fans will no doubt be excited to see Oti and Marius team up together on the dancefloor. Like his wife, Marius is a professional dancer but from Romania. He performed on Strictly in the group numbers in 2017, and is yet to land a pro dancer role on the BBC show. Oti, 29, married Marius, 37, in Denmark in 2014 after a short engagement. They met in Germany during a dance trial, before competing together and taking part in a number of contests.Oti and Marius have been married since 2014Oti rarely speaks about her private life in public, however, in a recent interview, the TV star confessed she is not ready to become a mother despite her desire to have children one day. "One day we'll probably wake up and be like, 'It's time!'" she told Fabulous magazine. "At some point I'll want to give my nieces a few cousins, but it's just not necessary at the moment." Oti was 23 when she tied the knot, and the Strictly star insists that marrying at such a young age was the best decision she ever made. "He was, and we still are, each other's everything," she explained. "You're in a new country, and it's just the two of us so it will always feel like it's just the two of us against the world. And he proposed, so I [couldn't] really say no!"MORE: Strictly's Aljaz Skorjanec reveals Pasha Kovalev is returning to the dancefloorLike this story? Sign up to our newsletter to get other stories like this delivered straight to your inbox.
The Queen was spotted leaving Windsor Castle on Monday, sporting a dressed-down appearance as she was driven from her Berkshire residence. The 93-year-old monarch was pictured in the back of the car, wearing a dark overcoat and a leaf-patterned silk scarf draped around her shoulders. She was wearing a pop of her signature pink lipstick and accessorised with a pair of pearl stud earrings.The Queen was returning to Buckingham Palace in London to carry out royal duties and on Tuesday, she visited MI5 to thank them for their "tireless work". Her Majesty returned from her annual winter break in Sandringham earlier this month.READ: The Queen's personal Scotch pancake recipe revealed - and it sounds delicious!The Queen was pictured in the back of the carLast week, the Queen opened the new premises of the Royal National ENT and Eastman Dental Hospitals in London. Sporting a purple coat and matching hat, Her Majesty toured the facilities, meeting patients and staff. During her visit, she revealed she had had braces when she was child. She told one youngster, who was having them fitted: "I think it's worth it, in the end."The Queen will attend the Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey on Monday 9 March and will be joined by members of the royal family, who are expected to include the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and the Duke and Duchess of Sussex.MORE: The Queen reveals she had braces as a child during visit to dental hospital WATCH: The Queen opens new dental hospitalPrince Harry and Meghan announced they're stepping back from royal duties in January and plan to work to become financially independent. The couple are currently living on Vancouver Island with baby Archie but say they will split their time between the UK and North America, as they carve out their new roles.Buckingham Palace announced a series of final engagements for the couple before they step back officially on 31 March. Together, they will attend the Endeavour Fund Awards on 5 March and the Mountbatten Music Festival on 7 March.Make sure you never miss a ROYAL story! Sign up to our newsletter to get all of our celebrity, royal and lifestyle news delivered directly to your inbox.
- NewsThe Guardian
UK travellers scramble to change plans as coronavirus spreads. Many people unable to get refunds for trips as FCO holds back on official travel warnings
- NewsEvening Standard
The late actor Kirk Douglas has reportedly left the bulk of his $61 million fortune to charity.According to The Mirror, the Douglas Foundation will receive $50 million of his estate. It is not clear where the remaining $11 million will go, but Kirk has reportedly left no money to his actor son Michael Douglas, who is estimated to be worth $278 million himself.