Mamma Mia! beats Harry Potter to Amazon’s bestselling DVD ever
The Abba inspired musical trumped ‘Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2’ to the top spot on a list of figured released to celebrate the company’s 15th anniversary.
However, the eighth instalment in the Potter series is the fastest-selling DVD of all time.
Sitcom spin-off ‘The Inbetweeners Movie’ surprisingly came in at number three on the best-selling list, with Pixar’s ‘Toy Story 3’ and landmark Attenborough series ‘Planet Earth’ rounding out the top five.
Amazon, which also owns streaming service LoveFilm, revealed the most watched movie from 2009 to today was Steve Carell animation ‘Despicable Me’, while the most streams in 24 hours went to Simon Pegg and Nick Frost comedy ‘Paul’.
Mamma Mia! outsold the final Harry Potter film on Amazon (Credit: Universal/Warner Bros.)
“The singing may not always have been of the highest quality, but ‘Mamma Mia!’ really captured the hearts of the UK’s film enthusiasts,” an Amazon.co.uk spokesperson said. “It’s no small feat to beat the long-awaited final instalment of the ‘Harry Potter’ series into second place.”
Other records released by Amazon.co.uk include:
- Fastest-selling album: One Direction album - ‘Midnight Memories’
- Best-selling artist of all time: Adele
- Best-selling MP3 single: Rage Against The Machine - ‘Killing In The Name Of’
- Best-selling video game: ‘Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2’
- Fastest-selling video game: ‘Grand Theft Auto V’
- Best-selling book: EL James - ‘Fifty Shades Of Grey’
- Fastest-selling product of all time: ‘Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows’ (book)
“The products paint a picture of the UK’s cultural consumption over the past fifteen years,” said a statement from Amazon, “and shows we’re a nation that loves Adele, ‘Harry Potter’ and ‘Mamma Mia!’, as well as Rage Against The Machine and ‘Call of Duty’.”
A video or other embedded content has been hidden. Click here to view it.