|Born||September 2, 1937|
|Hometown||Wandsworth, United Kingdom|
|Spouse||Lesley Judd (m 1974 - 1978) , Wendy Tory (m 1963 - 1973)|
|Parents||Ketha Muriel Fowlds , James Witney Fowlds|
- Heartbeat may not have premiered any new episodes for nearly ten years, but re-watching the old series never gets old for the fans. Viewers are no doubt loving seeing the old familiar faces from the show while watching reruns on ITV3, from the likes of Nick Berry, Jason Durr and William Simons – who have been regular stars on the programme for many years.MORE: Find out what happened to Heartbeat actor Derek FowldsWilliam was in the cast of Heartbeat for its entire runWilliam, who played PC Alf Ventress, was a much-loved character who was a staple part of the show for the entire 18-series run. But sadly, the actor died last year. Find out what happened here…MORE: Who is Heartbeat star Jonathan Kerrigan and where is he now? William Simons on HeartbeatWilliam was a Welsh actor who was best known for his role in the police drama playing PC Alf. His character was an old-timer who was known for extensive knowledge on the local area and neighbourhood. Alf was the longest serving officer for much of the drama, often in a role as acting sergeant when Blaketon, Craddock and Merton were absent. William began acting a small child and had a number of roles in films such as No Place for Jennifer and West of Zanzibar.William with his wife Janine in 2008After a short break from acting, he started up again later on in life, before landing his long-running stint on Heartbeat. William and his Heartbeat co-star Derek Fowlds, who also sadly passed away in recent times, were the only main cast to appear on the programme for the duration of its nearly 20 year run – making them both household names. William married his wife Janie in 1968 and they were together for over 30 years before her sad passing in 2002. He then married his second wife, Jackie, in 2007. What else was William Simons known for?As well as his tenure on the ITV show, William also appeared in other well-known TV shows such as Crown Court, Coronation Street, Auf Wiedersehen Pet, The Darling Buds of May and Casualty. His film credits include The Women in Black, Mystery Submarine and Pope John Paul II.The actor played PC Alf Ventress in the drama series How did William Simons die?In June 2019, it was announced that the actor had passed away at the age of 79. Although the cause of his death is not known, his agent confirmed the news in a statement. "I confirm the extremely sad news that the actor William Simons has passed away," the statement read. "He was a wonderful, kind, warm, witty, lovely human being and anyone who ever worked with him or knew him will be devastated."Like this story? Sign up to our newsletter to get other stories like this delivered straight to your inbox.
- EntertainmentThe Guardian
Derek Fowlds obituaryActor known as ‘Mr Derek’ in The Basil Brush Show, Bernard in Yes Minister and the crotchety police sergeant Oscar Blaketon in HeartbeatThanks for your feedback!
- EntertainmentThe Guardian
Derek Fowlds: the Yes Minister star who was more than just a sidekick. While never a top-billing name, the actor also known for his turn on Heartbeat could steal a scene off anyone – even Basil BrushThanks for your feedback!
- EntertainmentSky News
Yes Minister star Derek Fowlds has died aged 82, his family has said. The actor was best known for playing the private secretary Bernard Woolley in the popular 80s sitcom, and he later reprised the role in the sequel series Yes, Prime Minister. Fowlds also played Oscar Blaketon in long-running ITV police drama Heartbeat during a successful TV career that began when he took on the role of Mr Derek on The Basil Brush Show.Thanks for your feedback!
- EntertainmentHuffPost UK
The actor also appeared in The Basil Brush Show in the late 1960s and early 1970s.Thanks for your feedback!
- EntertainmentPA Media: UK News
The actor was also well known for his roles in Heartbeat and The Basil Brush Show.Thanks for your feedback!
- EntertainmentYahoo Celebrity UK
The actor had been suffering from pneumonia before he died.Thanks for your feedback!
- EntertainmentEvening Standard
Yes Minister star Derek Fowlds has died at the age of 82, his family has confirmed.The British actor was best known for playing Bernard Woolley in the hit political comedy.Thanks for your feedback!
- LifestyleThe Independent
Derek Fowlds, the actor who appeared in sitcom Yes Minister and ITV series Heartbeat, has died aged 82.His family announced the news.Thanks for your feedback!
- NewsThe Telegraph
Following the news of Yes Minister writer Antony Jay's death at the age of 86, we look back at ten of the most memorable moments from the series 1 Jim Hacker takes office In the political sitcom’s first ever episode, Jim Hacker (Paul Eddington) is made Minister for Administrative Affairs and meets his Principal Private Secretary, Bernard Woolley (Derek Fowlds), and Permanent Secretary, Sir Humphrey Appleby (Nigel Hawthorne). Bernard shows the Minister round his office: “It used to be said thereThanks for your feedback!